Black men are at highest risk of dying early from heart disease and stroke
Improving care can save more lives
Nearly 1 in 3 deaths in the US each year is caused by heart disease and stroke. At least 200,000 of these deaths could have been prevented through changes in health habits, such as stopping smoking, more physical activity, and less salt in the diet; community changes to create healthier living spaces, such as safe places to exercise and smoke-free areas; and managing high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
More people will have access to health care coverage and preventive care through the Affordable Care Act. Health care providers should talk with their patients about healthy habits at every visit and follow patients’ progress.
Health care systems and providers can also:
- Use electronic health records to identify and support patients who need help quitting smoking or who have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Refer patients to community resources, such as smoking quitlines and blood pressure selfmanagement programs.
- Track patient progress on the ABCS of heart health—Aspirin when appropriate, Blood pressure control, Cholesterol management, and Smoking cessation.
*Preventable (avoidable) deaths are defined as those from ischemic heart disease, stroke, chronic rheumatic heart disease, and hypertensive disease in people under age 75, although changes in health habits and the health care system can reduce death among all ages.
- rhiannonmair reblogged this from pubhealth
- macijustsaw likes this
- mr-sd likes this
- daydrinkingdaydrinking likes this
- karmapts reblogged this from likechipanddale
- xeenk likes this
- live-it-with-love-again reblogged this from pubhealth
- kalelthekonfident reblogged this from twerks4loanpayments
- kalelthekonfident likes this
- jvictoriab reblogged this from pubhealth
- iniarunave reblogged this from pubhealth
- justbev reblogged this from pubhealth
- the-adebisi-wombosi-identity likes this
- twerks4loanpayments reblogged this from pubhealth
- likechipanddale reblogged this from pubhealth
- sammysayalot reblogged this from pubhealth
- khairim reblogged this from pubhealth
- khairim likes this
- pubhealth posted this