Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes
For 75 years, Finland’s expectant mothers have been given a box by the state. It’s like a starter kit of clothes, sheets and toys that can even be used as a bed. And some say it helped Finland achieve one of the world’s lowest infant mortality rates.
It’s a tradition that dates back to the 1930s and it’s designed to give all children in Finland, no matter what background they’re from, an equal start in life.
The maternity package - a gift from the government - is available to all expectant mothers.
It contains bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor gear, bathing products for the baby, as well as nappies, bedding and a small mattress.
With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby’s first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box’s four cardboard walls.
Mothers have a choice between taking the box, or a cash grant, currently set at 140 euros, but 95% opt for the box as it’s worth much more.
The tradition dates back to 1938. To begin with, the scheme was only available to families on low incomes, but that changed in 1949.
- jessymessy33 reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- hislilrose81011 reblogged this from jorgito18
- hislilrose81011 likes this
- sweethearts-and-melancholy reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- kittehkay likes this
- pieces- reblogged this from yoonaybefermin
- elmsyable reblogged this from extra-ordinary-or-extraordinary
- spiritedmoonchild likes this
- extra-ordinary-or-extraordinary reblogged this from sierramaria
- darciacus reblogged this from a-wild-nignog-has-appeared
- eflatdiana reblogged this from lovingmestronger
- kjcbabyy reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- babyschmaby likes this
- edonaghey likes this
- anachronize likes this
- papatyalarprensesii reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- papatyalarprensesii likes this
- wholockstarfighter reblogged this from recklessweightless
- the-days-that-bind-us reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- going-to-get-fit-now likes this
- the-nth-angel reblogged this from gutterowl and added:
- single-lesbian-family likes this
- pregnantandsleepy likes this
- jorgito18 likes this
- jorgito18 reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- becomingmommy-mrsrhino reblogged this from journeytobeingmummy
- power-10 likes this
- seastarree reblogged this from the-perks-of-being-a-healthblr
- amiracle4us likes this
- cat-astro-phical reblogged this from sierramaria
- iyfit likes this
- thriillho likes this
- sortafaerytale likes this
- coffee-r reblogged this from the-perks-of-being-a-healthblr
- sierramaria reblogged this from ttc-baby-g
- the-perks-of-being-a-healthblr reblogged this from adamsmokinblunts
- adamsmokinblunts reblogged this from ttc-baby-g
- adamsmokinblunts likes this
- melissashelbym reblogged this from myinnersadness
- melissashelbym likes this
- catabelle reblogged this from ttc-baby-g
- ttc-baby-g reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- babypocseinprogress likes this
- animelover4021 reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- animelover4021 likes this
- fucking-moonmoon reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- sundaegrrl likes this
- recklessweightless reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow
- amihatesyou reblogged this from iwantmybabybumpnow