Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes
For 75 years, Finland’s expectant mothers have been given a box by the state. It’s like a starter kit of clothes, sheets and toys that can even be used as a bed. And some say it helped Finland achieve one of the world’s lowest infant mortality rates.
It’s a tradition that dates back to the 1930s and it’s designed to give all children in Finland, no matter what background they’re from, an equal start in life.
The maternity package - a gift from the government - is available to all expectant mothers.
It contains bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor gear, bathing products for the baby, as well as nappies, bedding and a small mattress.
With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby’s first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box’s four cardboard walls.
Mothers have a choice between taking the box, or a cash grant, currently set at 140 euros, but 95% opt for the box as it’s worth much more.
The tradition dates back to 1938. To begin with, the scheme was only available to families on low incomes, but that changed in 1949.
- lumberjackjess reblogged this from diseaseddreamer
- quietreminiscent reblogged this from diseaseddreamer
- quietreminiscent likes this
- diseaseddreamer reblogged this from musingsfromthethrone
- ijizzsparkles likes this
- iwillspitinyourmouth likes this
- whenwillthewanderingstart reblogged this from awkwardprincessally
- canttakethekidfromthefight reblogged this from marlwhoro
- grim-outlook reblogged this from peetabreadandhummus
- alexturnerlookssomean likes this
- rhymeswithzoe likes this
- accidentalyoga reblogged this from lifeisuntitled
- isideblog reblogged this from muslimfeminist
- lifeisuntitled reblogged this from queerofblades
- ellieiswrite reblogged this from a-storm-for-every-spring
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- loved-the-stars-too-fondly reblogged this from booklovey
- baldhappiness reblogged this from jaylenejoybeligan
- baldhappiness likes this
- peetabreadandhummus reblogged this from livegenuinely
- mp-bs likes this
- wolfarrow reblogged this from canticleofisabela
- werewolvesintheiryouth likes this
- miss-mrea reblogged this from pubhealth
- lokilaufeysonofasgard likes this
- eclecticmasterpiece reblogged this from hes-clueing--for-looks
- eclecticmasterpiece likes this
- hes-clueing--for-looks reblogged this from stories-to-live-by
- intentionorignorance likes this
- from-the-fields likes this
- johanna-strips-in-the-tardis reblogged this from stories-to-live-by
- crimsondelightpetrichor reblogged this from stories-to-live-by
- crimsondelightpetrichor likes this
- whataradurl reblogged this from stories-to-live-by
- stories-to-live-by reblogged this from sleepydrowsyancientgalaxy
- at-a-glance likes this
- paranoirme likes this
- livegenuinely reblogged this from bio--psycho--social
- spacecivet likes this
- findingmywaybymidnight reblogged this from bazmahtaz
- lackszazz reblogged this from bio--psycho--social
- queenoflube likes this
- wolfarrow likes this
- mysticsgirl reblogged this from valdara
- darthvronton likes this
- canticleofisabela reblogged this from amandathefig
- fissionmailedgf likes this
- lilbirdycat likes this
- baneoftoasters reblogged this from amandathefig