The radically simple Uniject™ injection system
Rethinking the needle to extend the reach of lifesaving vaccines and medications
What if syringes were so easy to use that even untrained health workers could give injections without the risk of error?
What if vaccines for developing countries could be prepackaged in low-cost prefilled syringes, vastly reducing the amount of vaccine wasted?
What if syringes could not be reused—and we knew for certain that gateway to HIV transmission was closed?
The Uniject™ autodisable injection system (Uniject), born in PATH’s Seattle shop, is little more than a small bubble of plastic attached to a needle, but it answers all these needs. It is so simple that health workers can learn to use it after less than two hours of training. It cannot be reused, which eliminates one route of disease transmission. And it is precisely prefilled by the pharmaceutical producers with a single dose, which ensures that the correct amount of drug is delivered and that none is discarded unnecessarily.
PATH developed Uniject with funding from the US Agency for International Development and then licensed the system to BD, the largest syringe manufacturer in the world. As part of the licensing agreement, BD supplies the Uniject system to pharmaceutical producers at preferential prices for use in developing-country programs. Developing Uniject and bringing it to market has been a 20-year endeavor.
Originally developed for use with vaccines, Uniject now promises to extend the reach of other lifesaving drugs as well as contraception.
Uniject is a trademark of BD.
- regularcheeseballs likes this
- a-glowing-fan reblogged this from pubhealth
- ofpolyhymnia reblogged this from livestockmenace
- jacknotzak reblogged this from sweetlittlefantasies and added:
- livestockmenace reblogged this from rihansu00
- beaconcares reblogged this from pubhealth
- nandamai likes this
- rihansu00 reblogged this from pubhealth
- its-me-jimmy-b likes this
- cutiewith-a-bootie reblogged this from female-only
- pheemorgan reblogged this from pubhealth
- letget-toknow reblogged this from pubhealth
- theyneverlookatme likes this
- theycallmesean likes this
- aislings-haven reblogged this from lucymiddletonrogers
- alphalez reblogged this from hardscum
- down-the-knucker-hole reblogged this from lucymiddletonrogers
- lucymiddletonrogers reblogged this from hardscum
- blumchen-baldstehn reblogged this from pubhealth
- bluer12 reblogged this from pubhealth
- bluer12 likes this
- iwouldratherbeadreamer likes this
- allhailtentaclelord likes this
- zami-butts likes this
- prince-slit-mouth reblogged this from deadisbeautylost
- deadisbeautylost reblogged this from thesixpennybook
- fawkesfromtheashes likes this
- cuddlykitt reblogged this from beautifultwistedsimplicity
- talkinggibberish likes this
- digitalhoarder reblogged this from hairy-hag
- itsthatjodi likes this
- a4visuals likes this
- blue-eyes-and-smiles likes this
- e-lain-e reblogged this from girl-supremacy
- red-headed-step-twin reblogged this from pubhealth
- girl-thuggery likes this
- sonnyboyd reblogged this from pubhealth
- heichou-more-like-gaychou reblogged this from unoriginalauthor
- capitaine-crochet likes this
- xmiliana likes this
- whatwhiskeycantcure reblogged this from female-only
- tthings-not-seen reblogged this from floodedaperture
- freakarific reblogged this from city-swimmer
- terramoo likes this
- beautifulseoul00 reblogged this from pubhealth
- beautifulseoul00 likes this
- medicinalpizza likes this
- vegetablearian likes this
- forever-star-dreaming reblogged this from pubhealth